There was a mild drama yesterday when plainclothes police operatives numbering more than 15 arrested two female suspected terrorists.
The incident occurred around 10.30am at the Gwarimpa Estate, CITEC end of the pedestrian bridge at the CITEC Junction Bus Stop, when the operatives stormed the spot where the two girls aged between 16 and 18, were standing as if waiting for somebody, and swooped on them in a bid to bundle them into their waiting vehicles.
The two girls wearing hijab, but not covering their faces, were waiting under the leg of the pedestrian bridge when the operatives arrived in two vehicles, a highlander with Lagos registration number, AAA 419 BD and a Siena jeep whose registration number was not immediately captured.
LEADERSHIP arrived at the scene just as three of the operatives walked up to the girls and were showing them their Nigeria Police Force identification cards, asking them to move into the waiting vans.
Sensing resistance from the girls, more operatives, all plainclothes, rushed to the scene and started forcing the girls to move. The girls were screaming and refusing to enter the vehicles. Some car dealers who ply their trade at the scene and were not sure who the plainclothes men were tried to intervene to find out why they were taking the girls away.
The operatives warned the onlookers not to intervene and started bringing out their guns. About four of them brought out their pistols while some others brandished their AK-47 automatic rifles. They, however, did not fire any shots until they successfully bundled both girls into the Highlander and drove off, heading towards FCT metropolis.
One of the traders who saw the drama that played out said when he saw both girls standing for sometime under the bridge, he had an uncanny feeling that these ladies could be terrorists and so was not surprised when the operatives came and picked them up.
When LEADERSHIP contacted the FCT command spokesman, ASP Anjuguri Manzah, he said he was not aware of the arrest. He, however, said that he would make enquires and get back to this reporter. But at the time of going to press, Manzah had not called back.
IS Loyalists’ Claim responsibility for Abuja Bomb Attacks
The Boko Haram sect claiming loyalty to the Islamic State (IS) has claimed responsibility for the suicide bombings that killed scores in Nyanya and Kuje suburbs of Abuja, a statement on Twitter said.
syria_crisis3The sect named three suicide bombers who it said were behind the attacks, the statement said.
Police investigation revealed that the two explosions late Friday in Nyanya and Kuje that killed at least 18 people and wounded about 40 others have been linked to a male and a female suicide bombers.
The report said a second bomber, a male, arrived later at the nearby Zamfara Market, carrying a bag that exploded after he deposited it near a vendor. A witness was quoted as saying a pregnant woman and a child were among the fatalities.
In May, the leader of the Islamic State militant group that controls parts of Syria and Iraq accepted a pledge of allegiance from Boko Haram, according to its spokesman.
Meanwhile, the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has said that 26 of the 39 victims of the Nyanya and Kuje bomb blasts were still receiving treatment in hospitals across the Federal Capital Territory.
Coordinator of NEMA, Abuja operations, Ishaya Chonoko, told newsmen that the remaining 13 persons had been treated and discharged. Mr. Chonoko said there were no fresh cases of injury or death from the Friday blasts.
He said the agency had no report on any hospital that had refused to treat the victims, contrary to some media reports.
He said that the names of such hospitals should be forwarded to the agency for appropriate action.
“We have not had such cases and anyone with facts should come forward and the agency will take appropriate action,” he said.